All students in the EKU Paralegal Baccalaureate and Associate degree programs complete a 280-hour Paralegal Internship (LAS 399) in the law office or legal environment of their choice.
The goals of the paralegal internship are as follows:
- To gain understanding of the structure and functions of the law office environment.
- To gain insight into professional interpersonal relationships and the paralegal profession.
- To apply the knowledge and skills learned in the classroom to actual paralegal tasks in a law office.
- To exercise the ethical responsibilities of a paralegal as set forth under the Code of Professional Responsibility and applicable laws.
- To reflect upon and personally evaluate the internship experience so that the student is better informed when choosing future employment.
The prerequisites for completing the internship include 18 hours of major (LAS) courses (including LAS 300 – Legal Research and Writing II). You must complete the internship application process and obtain director approval of the internship site.
The following documents will provide further information regarding the Paralegal Internship (LAS 399):
- Paralegal Internship Application Form (Word Format) (PDF Format)
- Prospective Intern Letter (Word Format) (PDF Format)
- Syllabus for Paralegal Internship (Word Format) (PDF Format)
- Student Guide for Internship (Word Format) (PDF Format)
- Letter for Prospective Employers/Supervisors (Word Format) (PDF Format)
- Memorandum of Understanding (Word Format) (PDF Format)
- Sample Internship Report (Word Format) (PDF Format)
- Intern Evaluation Report (Word Format) (PDF Format)
If you would like further information regarding the Paralegal Internship at EKU, please contact Prof. Lynnette Noblitt, Director, Paralegal Programs at (859) 622-5931 or firstname.lastname@example.org.